Does your married life feel like it is on the skids lately? It may very well be on the skids, which means it is headed towards divorce court. But how can you really tell if you are on the right track? What can you do if you are heading in to dark and choppy water?
Following is a list of things to take inventory on in your marriage. Do you agree on some, all or none of these issues?
- Communication. Do you still speak to each other lovingly and with respect? Do you even communicate regularly about things outside of work or the children? Do you set aside time specifically for you to talk to each other? Do you even like to talk to your spouse?
- Activities. Do you like to go out for a night on the town still? Do you take weekend trips together? Do you have family adventures for a week or weekend throughout the year? Do you have hobbies or activities that you enjoy doing together, like hiking, fishing or attending plays?
- Fun. Is there anything fun going on in your life? Does he still make you laugh? Does she bring a smile to you face each morning? Do you enjoy each other’s company? Is there any type of sex life going on in the bedroom?
- The Big Three. Do you still agree on the big three matters in a marriage: sex, money and kids? Are your disputes minor or are they major? Are there financial strains between you?
- Atmosphere. Is the atmosphere surrounding you at the dinner table charged with electricity and ready to ignite? Is the tension so thick you could cut it with a knife? Is it happy and relaxed and everyone discusses their day?
If there are a lot of items you disagree on, you may want to seek the help of a marriage counselor. The counselor can guide you in to ways to improve your married life so it gets out and stays out of trouble. If your relationship appears to be in calm waters, you may want to seek a marriage counselor’s advice anyway. They can only improve upon and make better your marriage. And a positive, happy marriage sailing in the right direction is the ultimate goal.