"No man is an island."
Does teaching children social skills really matter? You bet.
Helping your child develop social skills at an early age is something parents must do if you want your child to thrive later in life.
Why teach children social skills?
1) They become more people friendly and people oriented.
2) They learn to get along with people.
3) They learn how to share, not being self centered.
4) They learn to care for other's feelings.
5) They learn there are things beyond family members.
6) They become more confident.
7) They learn to cope with differences.
I saw a vast improvement in my preschool daughter last weekend. During our visit to my friend’s house, for the first time, J played with my friend's daughter without our company.
Under normal circumstances, she would not have done this as she would stay with my wife or me within a 3-foot radius, especially in a home that she's not familiar with.
You need patience when it comes to teaching children about social skills. Because it takes more than one session and it's an on-going process.
These are some of the things we do to help our children socialize.
- Send them to kindergarten.
- Meet up with family members regularly.
- Visit friends who have children.
- Do activities together with other children.
For more Works for Me tips, head on over to Shannon’s Rocks in My Dryer.